Sunday, March 27, 2011

Flying my Mom

March 27, 2011

My Mom and I spent the morning having some good mother-daughter time in my airplane. She's been so excited to go, and she's let everyone know it. We were originally planning on flying Friday, but we ended up having bad weather. I picked her up today at 8:30am and drove out to the airport. The plan was to take her on a cross country trip by flying up the Mississippi River to Hannibal, MO. She's into photography, so I thought it would be a great photo opp for her and a new experience for me. However, once we were up in the air, I noticed how windy it was flying over and near the river. I didn't want her remembering her first time flying with me as unpleasant or get the impression that it was always going to be that turbulent. I too felt more comfortable aborting the trip and just flying her around the area for a while. She was just happy to be up there with me.

We flew around for about an hour over small towns, and open fields. I showed her steep turns, and like my boyfriend, she loved them. The whole time, I'd look over and she'd be smiling from ear-to-ear and taking pictures right and left.

We then went back to the airport and I showed her short and soft field takeoffs. All my landings were normal because I had to deal with some crosswinds. Never once did she show any nerves, only excitement. We had a great time hanging out today, and we both look forward to going again.

Mom and I at 3500ft



Coming in for a landing

No comments:

Post a Comment