Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Flight School Job

March 29, 2011

A few weeks ago, I spoke with the owner of my flight school and told him that I was interested in working for them if anything became available. He told me that was great to hear and that he would discuss it with Sandy. On Monday, I spoke with her and she asked me if I was still interested. She offered me a part time job working 2-3 nights per week behind the front counter as a dispatcher. I told her I would love the opportunity and that I could start training as soon as possible. I plan on keeping my current job, and this will just be a second side job.

Today I began training. I clocked in at 4:00pm and Nick introduced me to the computer system. I learned how to schedule airplanes and lessons, how to do invoicing and update customer records. It was a very slow day at the airport due to rain, so he showed me how to close everything down early. At 6:00 he went home for the day, leaving me in charge of the front desk. Sandy then left around 7:00, which left only me, a line service man, and one instructor who was with a student. I worked on customer records until about 7:45pm, then clocked out for the night.

I'll be in training for a few weeks, and if I still like it, then they'll make it official. I appreciate that they let me get my hands into the job before having me commit. I'm sure that I will stay. I've wanted to work at an airport for a couple years now, and now that I'm a pilot, it will only enhance my resume. The people who work there are so friendly and a lot of fun to talk to. I bet I will learn a lot about aviation, and I certainly look forward to my next night of work.

2 comments:

  1. And don't forget to take good care of the cat! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will certainly take care of Notam :)

    ReplyDelete