Friday, March 11, 2011

Flight 29

March 11, 2011

Matt and I flew together today. We did a power-on and a power-off stall, then did a steep turn for extra practice. I mainly wanted to practice landings, so we headed back to the airport. The wind was coming from the south, so I asked if we could do a straight-in landing for Runway 18. He said that would be ok, but he wanted the landing to be a short field. So once I was over the river, I began configuring the airplane for landing. As we got closer, Matt asked what I wanted my touchdown point to be. I told him I was aiming for the first stripe after the numbers. To my surprise, and I think his, I landed right on top of the stripe.

We then did a short field takeoff, flew the pattern around and did a soft field landing. That landing wasn't as good, which frustrated me. As we were slowing down on the runway, Matt said he had the controls and applied full power and took off. He said he was going to show me some more tips to help make the landing smoother. So he flew around and showed me a landing. I always enjoy watching an instructor land the plane, they make it look so effortless. I guess that's what 2500 hours of experience will bring.

Afterward, we decided to practice crosswind takeoffs and landings. He helped me with the first takeoff and landing, then the second time I did it myself. The winds were from the south at about 12 knots, gusting to 16. The most crosswind that I have dealt with have been under 8 knots, with no gusts. I did pretty good, and definitely feel more prepared to handle crosswinds if I need to.

Back inside, I got the much anticipated checkride endorsement! Matt and I also filled out the online application, so I am completely set. I am mixed with nerves and excitement.

Flight Log to Date
Hours flown: 35.3

2 comments:

  1. That's great news! Have you scheduled your checkride yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have scheduled the checkride. It should be this week depending on weather. I'm really excited and feeling pretty confident going into it.

    ReplyDelete