Sunday, March 6, 2011

Flight 28

March 6, 2011

I flew with a different instructor for the second time today. I've worked with Nick on the ground, but last Wednesday was my first time flying with him. My normal instructor asked me to fly with Nick so he could get a non-biased opinion on where I stand. So I flew with Nick on March 2nd and we covered slow flight, power on/off stalls, turns around a point, steep turns, soft field takeoff and landings, emergency procedures, pilotage and dead reckoning.

Today, Nick and I covered S-turns, then did a simulated engine failure, and more pilotage and dead reckoning. Afterward, we flew back to the airport and focused on takeoff and landings. I can't remember the exact order but we worked on short and soft field operations. After a couple times he asked if I wanted to call it a day, but I had almost 45 minutes left, so I asked if we could go back up. We ended up doing one more soft field takeoff and a normal landing, then he asked if I wanted to do a 180 power-off landing. I'm always up for trying something new, so I said yes. It was really quite easy. Once I was abeam the runway numbers, I pulled the power all the way to idle, then turned straight for the runway, ignoring all the traffic patterns since this was basically a simulated engine failure landing. We glided all the way to the runway, then landed.

At the end of the lesson, Nick told me that he feels I am ready for the checkride. Everything I have done would've passed. He suggests that I go ahead and schedule it, then when I fly with my normal instructor later this week, I can get the sign-off/ endorsement. I'm really excited!

Flight Log to Date
Hours flown: 34.2

No comments:

Post a Comment