Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Multi Engine Rating

November 3, 2013

Today I earned my Commercial Multi-Engine Rating!!

Earning my multi-engine rating took approximately six hours of flight training and about four hours of ground school. In order to pass the checkride, you must perform several maneuvers and procedures. First up, steep turns to the commercial pilot standards, then slow flight, a power off stall, a power on stall, an accelerated stall, and perform an emergency descent. You also perform the VMC Demo, which basically shows that you can safely fly the plane on one engine, maintain directional control, and recover the airplane when required. You will show the examiner that you can completely shut down one engine, safely fly the airplane, and secure the stopped propeller and engine. Once you have met his approval, you demonstrate your ability to restart the engine. See my short video of an engine shutdown on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbyMpqQIfag

After the maneuvers, if you're instrument rated, of which I am, you perform an instrument approach. For my checkride, we did the VOR 18 into my home airport. The plane was configured for a simulated single engine approach and required me to land with just the one engine. Afterwards, we did an aborted takeoff, a short field takeoff, and a simulated engine failure in the traffic pattern.

After all was said and done, I passed!!

BE-76 Duchess - my training aircraft
Duchess cockpit




2 comments: