Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Recents

October 3, 2012

So what have I been up to lately? Flying, what else? I've had three flights since my last post, so I thought I'd just say a few things about each.

  • First, I flew with a pilot friend on Sept. 29th. We flew to Decatur, IL (which I flew wearing the foggles), we landed there after doing a GPS approach and then switched seats. It was his turn to fly for the trip back wearing the foggles. This way we can both log simulated instrument flight time. He did a GPS approach into Litchfield, IL, then flew back home. It was a fun trip and excellent practice, not to mention the first time I got to be someone's safety pilot!

Me on final approach for Decatur


Coming into Litchfield


  • Second flight was an actual instrument lesson with a different instructor, Tracy. We started off by doing unusual attitudes which has gotten to be pretty routine. Then we called up St. Louis approach and remained in contact with them for the rest of the lesson. I flew us over to Alton and the first thing on the list was to the Localizer Backcourse for runway 11. I figured this would go better than last time, but sadly no. I understand what to do, but for some reason I still mess it up. After that disaster, we did the ILS for runway 29. That performance was much better, but I have a lot more practice and those in addition to loving them. Once we were done working at Alton, we flew to the published hold and practiced that a couple times. I didn't do too bad. Afterward, we flew back home and did the VOR approach for runway 18. It's another fairly easy approach and I did ok. By the time we landed, I had logged a 1.5hr flight but felt a bit disappointed in my performance. Tracy claimed I did alright though. It was the first time for me to fly with him, so I guess with his different teaching styles and extra tips, I felt like I was behind the curve... but I know better.

  • The third and final flight was actually on the same day as the one with Tracy. My commercial instructor, Ryan, asked me to be his safety pilot so he could perform multiple approached to remain IFR current. We went out to Spirit airport and he did three ILS approaches all while wearing the foggles. After finishing, he flew back home and did the GPS approach, followed by a VOR approach. He did a really good job and I enjoyed observing. 

Lastly, I thought I would just share a couple pictures of last nights sunset and rainbow at the ole airport. Enjoy!




My next flight is another cross country! Tune back this weekend for another story of adventure :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment