Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hurricane Isaac

September 1, 2012

Today I logged a first. I flew through a hurricane. Hurricane Isaac. Well to be honest it was the remnants and now a tropical depression, but a hurricane sounds cooler so that's what I'm sticking with.

Isaac at time of flight. 
I arrived to the airport at 2pm, but thanks to the weather, we didn't start flying until 3pm. After speaking with Clearance Delivery, we departed VFR then picked up our IFR flight plan once airborne. It didn't take long until we were flying in light rain and clouds. The controller vectored us towards Spirit Airport. After a successful ILS approach, we flew back north to set up for a VOR approach at Smartt. My only mistake (which was not really a mistake because I still performed it correctly per the approach plate) was that I could've dropped down to a lower altitude near the end. This would've allowed me to be low enough to safely make a landing, however I was essentially on Final but still at 1,160ft which was too high to land. We went missed, circled back around, then made our landing.

After going back inside, Mark asked how I felt about the lesson. I was all smiles because I had just realized that for majority of the flight, I was able to manage 98% of the radio calls, handle the airplane, and fly the approaches almost effortlessly, all while having a solid conversation with Mark, my CFII. It felt great. The flight was also breathtaking. I love when I can experience IMC (instrument meteorological conditions).







No comments:

Post a Comment