Saturday, April 7, 2012

Multiple Approaches

April 7, 2012

Instead of writing a big story about how today's lesson went, I will keep it short and sweet.

Mark and I combined lessons 20 and 21 by doing a Localizer back-course approach into Alton, followed by an ILS approach at Alton. I managed all the radio calls and performed the approaches completely on my own. They turned out beautifully. Afterward, we did a partial panel VOR approach into St. Charles. Partial panel meaning that Mark covered up two of my gyro instruments to simulate them as failed. I was forced to interpret other instruments to get the same information. This was a first to me. I've done partial panel work before, and have obviously done approaches, but I haven't put the two together. Surprisingly it didn't affect my performance. With a little extra attention to the other instruments, the VOR approach was perfect... and so was the landing.

It was a magnificent lesson. For the first time in my instrument training, I really feel like an IFR rated pilot. I keep smiling :)


Flight Log to Date:
Hours flown: 111.5

No comments:

Post a Comment