Sunday, February 5, 2012

Memories

February 5, 2012

The risk of encountering ice during today's flight in the clouds kept us from even leaving the ground. I hadn't even finished breakfast when my instructor called and canceled today's lesson. But as they say, "it's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than be in the air wishing you were on the ground."

Since I didn't get to fly today, I read my Flight Training Magazine that AOPA mails to me each month. There's always some great information inside, and plenty of stories that make you remember parts of your  training. This sent me on a walk down memory lane...

  • That first lesson (Oct. 2010) - wow, was I nervous! But once airborne, I knew life would never be the same.
  • My first solo (Dec. 2010) - an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. Did I really just do that??
  • First solo cross country - scared to death. Thought I was getting lost, but with the help of a GPS, I made it home safely.
  • Sport Pilot checkride (March 2011) - after a slight emergency in flight on day one, I passed my checkride on day two and became a true pilot. The one dream I thought was impossible, was possible after all.
  • First passenger - Took my boyfriend Dion. I was overly cautious with every move, our safety was all on me. It was a wonderful, stressful moment. 
  • The day my private pilot CFI taught me crosswind landings with a 30kt wind - I was so fascinated. I had no idea you could make an airplane fly sideways!!
  • First time landing at a controlled airport - Talking to ATC is a very intimidating task for many pilots. I was so fortunate to work with Alton. The controller was patient and friendly, which made it a positive experience for a newbie.
  • First night cross country - Gives a whole new outlook on flying; it's a completely different sensation. Where would I land in an emergency? I don't know, it's too dark to see anything! But, the beautifully lit city underneath the glowing moon is a sight not to be missed.
  • First spin - I don't know what I was thinking asking my CFI to show me a spin. I think my heart raced faster that day than on my sport checkride. It was a valuable lesson indeed.
  • First time flying in the clouds - There's really no words to describe what it's like flying an airplane when all you can see is white... no ground, no sun, no birds, nothing except white.
  • Actually getting lost - Yep, that was me on a cross country... solo. 
  • Private Pilot checkride (Aug. 2011) - same examiner, different plane, mostly all the same maneuvers, and a passing grade in the end. So many more privileges are now open to me... time to fly!
  • First day of instrument training - Foggles covering my eyes for the entire flight = serious mental workout.
  • Flying my brother - His first time ever flying in an airplane. Wonderful way to have brother/ sister bonding time.
  • Pumpkin Drop - Dion and I competed in our first competition. Dropping pumpkins of of the airplane window while in flight. Came in 4th place of over 50 contestants!
  • Instrument Stage 1 Check - basically like a checkride, but without the pass/fail. Tested me on all my instrument training to date. Nerve wrecking day, but a total confidence booster.
  • Hitting my 100th hour - WOW! If 100 hours feels this good, what will 1000 feel like?
Now a year and three months in to my training, I finally feel like doing this as a career is truly possible. It's been a great experience and I'm so excited to see what the future will bring.

What's your best aviation memory?

2 comments:

  1. My best aviation memory is flying with you.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is always a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete