Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My 60th Hour

June 8, 2011

Today I hit my 60th hour of flight training. Some days I feel like I should have more hours, and other days I feel like 60 is a lot. Either way, it has been the best 60 hours of education that I have ever received!

Matt and I worked together today. It was quite windy, which posed some extra challenges. We spent a half an hour on simulated instrument stuff, along with more VOR navigation. He also seemed to hold me to those checkride standards more than usual. I got close to busting some of them at times, but in all I did alright.

I then took off the foggles and we practiced slow flight. I setup the maneuver correctly, but I was slow at the steps, which caused me to lose altitude and/or speed. So we tried it again... better that time, but I should probably practice it again so I get more efficient.

After getting back near the airport, Matt pulled the power to idle to simulate an engine failure. I wasn't actually aware that we were at the airport yet, so when I looked for somewhere to land, I chose a big field. He told me to keep looking, and sure enough, it was almost right under us. He asked me which runway I wanted to go for. I knew that using runway 9 or 18 were out of the question. I also didn't think I'd have time to make it back to runway 27, so I chose 36 even though I knew we were going to have a strong tailwind. The landing was kind-of crazy but we made it down safely. I'm not sure if I've ever made a tailwind landing before and especially not when the winds are gusting to 20kts. It was a worthwhile experience.

We then took off from runway 18, flew the pattern around, and made a short field landing. Matt had asked me to land in a small, specific area of the runway, which I managed to do. It could've been a better landing though... I should have corrected for the crosswind more than I did. I told Matt that I wanted to give it another shot. He talked me through the steps, from the pattern work to the landing. It turned out much better than the last landing.

Other news:
* To my Readers: You are welcome to join all of us at SCFS for Airport Day 2011. It will be held on June 18th from 10am-4pm. It is our annual Open House and includes a delicious BBQ. We will also have Spot Landing and Bomb Drop Competitions that are always fun to watch. Bring your kids, friends and family for a day full of fun! Please contact me for more information.

* Recently I received an email from my local Women With Wings chapter, encouraging us to become a Young Eagles Pilot. As stated on their website, "This program was launched in 1992 to give interested young people, ages 8-17, an opportunity to go flying in a general aviation airplane. These flights are offered free of charge and are made possible through the generosity of EAA member volunteers." After looking further into the program and the requirements of being a volunteer pilot, I have decided that after I become a private pilot, I too will offer these kids the opportunity to go experience the joys of flying. I would love to give back to the community all the things that it has given me, and I hope that it will be something that these young people will always remember.

* Lastly, I wanted to make a shout-out to my boyfriend, Dion. We hit our 5 year anniversary this week.  Achieving my dream of becoming a pilot would not have been possible if it weren't for you. Thank you babe for all your support, I love you :)

2 comments:

  1. (mis)quoting Yoda, lost an airport Sara has. How embarassing, how embarassing :-P

    Ok, seriously: congratulations on your 60 hours, and even more on your 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Yeah I couldn't believe that I didn't know we were right there. I was so busy with the maneuvers that I didn't even pay attention to where Matt was taking me. The wings were blocking my view of the airport/runways, so it took a second for me to see it. Good times, good times... and thank you for the congrats! It's been an amazing 5 years.

    ReplyDelete