Sunday, May 8, 2011

Night Cross Country

May 7, 2011

Tonight was incredible. I have been looking forward to this cross country for a few weeks now and it was better than I could have imagined. The sky was mostly clear and the moon phase was waxing crescent, making it pretty dark. You could see the lights from small cities from miles away. It was simply gorgeous.

Matt and I departed the airport around 8:30pm and got on course for Springfield, IL. Once we were about 30 miles out, we tuned into the weather and airport information frequency. At 20 miles out I made my initial call, "Springfield, Cessna 757SW about 20 miles to the southwest, inbound, with information alpha." The tower then told me to enter left base for Runway 31. After landing, we parked the plane at one of the FBOs and went inside for a restroom break and to grab a quick drink of water. Once back in the plane, I contacted them and told them that I was ready to taxi to the runway and what course heading and altitude I wanted. They gave me the clearance to taxi to the runway, and after arriving, I stopped and made another call, "Cessna 757SW, holding short of 31, ready for takeoff." Shortly thereafter, I received my clearance and we were on our way.

Next stop, Lambert International Airport in St. Louis, MO. I never imagined that someday I'd have the opportunity to fly into Lambert, as a pilot. It was very similar to Springfield, but with more traffic, and a bit more radio communication between me and the tower. Thankfully I had Matt to help me out. I informed the controller that I wanted to do three touch-and-go's before heading home. He assigned me to Runway 29 and cleared me for the option. I basically had the area to myself and could do as I please. One thing that surprised me was how difficult it was to see the runway until you were basically on top of it. My first landing was pretty good. The runways were huge! After touchdown, I quickly prepared the plane for takeoff and applied full power and began my climb. The tower then contacted me that I was clear to land on 29 again and also cleared for the option. I repeated the instructions back and followed the pattern around. By this point, I could hear ATC directing commercial planes. It was pretty exciting to be flying with "the big guys." Our second landing was also successful, as was the third. I then notified the tower that I was finished and was ready to head back to St. Charles. I received the clearance, then headed on our route.

The hardest part for me with everything was just remembering what they told me to do, then knowing what repeat back to them. There was a lot more conversation between me and them than I mentioned here. I just have to remember that they're human too, and we all have to start somewhere. It will come with practice, and I feel confident that I can handle it.

The landing back at my airport was beautiful. I have been waiting for a landing that nice. We then parked the plane, tied it down and went inside.

The whole trip took 2 1/2 hours, so we didn't get back until 11pm. I'm usually in bed by 9pm because of work, so I was getting tired, but the rush of everything kept me wide awake. I laid in bed for two hours before falling asleep, then woke up 5 1/2 hours later because I apparently still had a racing mind. Now that it's the morning after the flight, I'm feeling accomplished, confident, and even more excited for what my future training will bring.

Flight Log to Date
Hours flown: 51.2

4 comments:

  1. I find this post so incredibly inspiring! Especially the part about not being able to sleep after an exciting flight!
    By the way, did you have a GPS on board or did you have to rely on ded reckoning/pilotage/VOR/ADF all the way? Navigation through southern Illinois / eastern Missouri is hard even in broad daylight!
    On another note, I too find large busy airports a bit intimidating, especially on my first time there when I don't really know all nearby landmarks. After a while though something just clicks, you realize it's only more of the same and things start to get manageable :-)

    Have fun flying and please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoy my posts! Sometimes I think it's a little goofy that I write about my lessons, but family and friends seem to enjoy it. The plane doesn't have a GPS, so it was mostly pilotage/dead reckoning. On our way to Lambert, we tried using the VOR but it wasn't working right. It was a bit hard to figure out which little town was which, but I just kept on my planned heading and kept flying towards the brightly lit large city. I can't wait for things to start clicking. I remember that feeling when I learned how to do landings early on. It's a great feeling. I don't think it'll be long before Matt signs off for me to do my solo tower work. Thanks for reading and I'll be sure to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if I may, I've just found out another very relevant quote:
    "Flying is not just some crude, mechanical process. It is a delicate art. Purely aesthetic. Poetry of motion. And the only way to learn it is to do it."
    -- Archimedes the Owl, from the Sword in the Stone :-)

    ReplyDelete