Thursday, April 7, 2011

Remos Checkout

April 7, 2011

Matt and I took the Remos out for the second time today. We needed to focus on landings more than anything else, so we stayed in the pattern to start. I was surprised with how much I remembered from my first lesson. The first landing went really good, then the second one was also pretty good. The third one got even better, and apparently another pilot watched my landing because he got on the radio and told me, "nice landing." That was pretty awesome, I've never had another pilot compliment me like that before. Matt then said if I could land the Remos like that one more time without any help, he could give me the signoff. So we went up again, flew the pattern, and came back and I successfully landed the plane. He was satisfied, so he asked if there was anything else that I wanted to work on since we still had an hour with the plane.

I decided to do a soft field takeoff, followed by flying us out of the pattern to the practice area. I wanted to do steep turns, so we got set up and I began my turn to the left, followed by one to the right. I don't think I did too bad. I then said I wanted to do a power on stall; that went well. Afterward, Matt asked if I wanted to do a power off stall. I told him no because I was still a little afraid of it since the last one we did felt pretty crazy. But being the good instructor that he is, he made me do one anyways, then another. I officially feel better now.

That was enough maneuvers for one day, so I asked Matt if we could do some crosswind landings. The first landing he complimented me by saying it was a "textbook landing." It always feels so great when someone you look up to says something like that to you. We did two more crosswind landings, then called it a day.

Matt officially signed off for me to fly the Remos anytime I'd like now. I no longer need to go with an instructor, plus I can take passengers in it if I want. Pretty exciting!

2007 Remos GX

No comments:

Post a Comment